Vitamin E exists in two analogous forms i.e. Tocotrienols and Tocopherols with four sub forms (Alpha, Beta, Gamma & Delta) of each. Tocotrienol is an underrated but most potent form of Vitamin E which is very rarely available in the natural storehouses of Vitamin E. It is among the best antioxidants known till date with outstanding anti-cancer properties. It has extra-ordinary capability of fetching and countervailing unstable free radicals which are present inaccessibly close to the cell walls. In nature, Vitamin E exists in two fat soluble forms Tocopherols and Tocotrienols.
Scientific Advances in Field of Therapeutic Vitamin E
Earlier, Tocopherol was consumed most commonly because Tocotrienol sources were very rare in nature. But a decade ago, Dr. Barrie Tan, came out with a dumbfounding and wonder struck discovery of Tocotrienols in natural stores like annatto plant, palm and rice, which was a profound achievement towards the antioxidant therapeutic science for the cure of various chronic illnesses, as Tocotrienols are the proven highly potent antioxidants. It was seen that the Annatto fruit pod seeds are the incredibly rich Tocotrienol packets containing 90% Delta Tocotrienols and 10 % Gamma tocotrienols. Specifically Delta Tocotrienols possess the huge therapeutic potential which is incomparable to any other isoform of Tocotrienol. It is Eannatto’s distinct feature that it does not contain Alpha Tocopherols which possess inferior therapeutic attributes and also interfere with efficient assimilation and bioavailability of Tocotrienols.
What are the amazing benefits of Tocotrienols?
The Vitamin E family has two known broader divisions namely Tocotrienols and Tocopherols. Recently, it was discovered that Tocotrienols perform therapeutically far better than Tocopherols. The efficiency of Tocopherols is compromised because of its less evolved and shorter molecular tail structure than Tocotrienol molecules. This is the reason; Tocopherol molecules lack the ability to reach as close to the cell walls as Tocotrienols molecules can reach. Lets have an insight into the therapeutic action of Tocotrienols.
Mode of action
The oxidative stress caused by free radicals, and harmful radiations induce DNA damage of the tissues. This leads to chromosomal alterations thereby causing cancerous mutations in the cells. Therefore, consequent uncontrolled proliferation of these mutated cells becomes the major cause behind cancer in the subjects.
Tocotrienol is the therapeutic key to numerous chronic illnesses and pathologies. Various researches have been conducted which brought out the following enlisted therapeutic benefits of Tocotrienols:
- Vitamin E Tocotrienol For Cardiovascular Health: Causes declination of bad cholesterol (Low Density Cholesterol) by 20% enhancing cardio-vascular health. It can also help to deal with Hyperlipidemia as it inhibits the HMG-CoAR enzyme activity which acts as catalyst enzyme in cholesterol synthesis.
- Also exhibit anti-clotting and anti-carcinogenic characteristics
- Causes reduction of C- reactive protein by 40% leading to anti-inflammatory effects
- Controls blood pressure optimally
- Lowers bone resorption and promotes bone calcification especially in post-menopausal women
- Vitamin E is a recommended supplement in the treatment of NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease). It is because it prevents excessive fat deposition in the liver Tissues.
- With antioxidant properties, it promotes cellular health and prevents its damage.
- Improves Insulin efficiency leading to steadying the blood glucose levels in diabetic patients.
- Vitamin E Tocotreinol for Skin Benefits: Prevents skin damage on exposure to harmful radiations, reduces pigmentation, promotes faster wound healing and slows down the ageing process
- Promotes neural health by preventing Alzheimer’s disease and Cognitive Impairment occurrence.
- Best Vitamin E For Immune System as it aids the rapid wound healing process.
- Delays the onset and reduces the intensity of cataract caused by oxidative stress.
|COMPARISON BETWEEN TOCOTRIENOLS AND TOCOPHEROLS|
|1||No synthetic preparations available, 100% Natural||Available in synthetic preparations also|
|2||Chemical structure supports: anti-cancer brain cell protective anti-atherosclerotic cholestrogenic inhibitory properties||Chemical structure masks such biological characteristics|
|3||Unsaturated hydrocarbon chain ® tissue penetration (esp. brain, liver, etc.)||Absence of unsaturated hydrocarbon chain|
|4||Shorter molecular tail structure & lower molecular weight velocity tissue coverage||Big molecular tail structure & higher molecular weight ¯velocity ¯tissue coverage|
|5||40-60 times higher antioxidant activity||Poorer antioxidant activity|
|6||More suppressive on breast cancer growth||Less suppressive on breast cancer growth|
|7||Prevent neurotoxic insults after stroke||Incapable in preventing neurotoxic insults after stroke|
|8||In equimolar quantities: absorption assimilation bioavailability||In equimolar quantities: absorption assimilation bioavailability|
|9||Are Isoprenoids. Better protect cells in moderate heat stress (approx. 40o C)||Not Isoprenoids.|
|10||Underrated Vitamin E form||Overrated Vitamin E form|
|11||Not present in a regular diet. Supplementation is necessary||Already present in regular diet. Supplementation is futile|
|12||Do not interfere with Tocopherol functioning.||Interfere with key Tocotrienol functions.|
Role of Dr. Barrie in the discovery of Annatto Tocotrienols
As we go centuries back to the time of ancient Mayans, they used to paint their body with Annatto plant extracts because of the natural cosmetic value of the plant. In fact, annatto was their staple food as they were very much aware of its medicinal miracles. The Barrie Tan’s cognizance of huge antioxidant capabilities of the orange colored byproduct produced in his amigo’s palm oil manufacturing unit, led to the discovery of natural storehouses of Tocotrienol like palm, rice and annatto. After huge research, he found that Annatto is the most potent source of the purest form of Vitamin E as it contains maximum concentration of Delta Tocotrienols. It has been proven that the Delta Tocotrienol has the maximum bioavailability among all the eight isoforms. This led to the basis for the synthesis of 100% Natural Vitamin E Tocotrienols supplements.
Sources of Tocotrienols
Following are some major natural Tocotrienol sources:
- Wheat germ
Out of all the above Annatto is supposed to be the Tocotrienol source with best anti-cancer capabilities.
How are Tocotrienols therapeutically superior to Tocopherols?
Tocotrienols possess following extraordinary characteristics that are not shared by Tocopherols:
- Tocotrienols possess 40-60 times better antioxidant potency than Tocopherols.
- Tocotrienols in nanomolar concentrations have a unique capability of preventing inducible neurodegeneration by altering specific mediator activity for cell death.
- Tocotrienol has the capability of suppressing the activity of a hepatic enzyme (HMG-CoA Reductase) which catalyzes the synthesis of cholesterol and thereby promotes cardiovascular health.
- Contrasting to Tocopherols, Tocotrienols cause reduction in oxidative damage of proteins and increase the lifespan of body cells as they have more potent antioxidant characteristics than Tocopherols.
- The Tocotrienols penetrate more efficiently into the tissues and possess better bioavailability than Tocopherol Vitamin E Supplement, especially Delta Tocotrienols.
- Tocotrienols stand superior to Tocopherols in exhibiting free radical scavenging character.
- Tocotrienol supplementation raises blood plasma levels of Tocotrienols to a magnitude that is required to prevent neurotoxic insults in neurons.
- Tocotrienols are isoprenoids(a class of organic chemicals) whereas tocopherols are not.
- The shorter tail structure of Tocotrienol than Tocopherols aids better in assimilation of the supplement.